Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Tuesday Rocks

I am so sorry I had to keep you all waiting for so long to find out- but there was nothing I could do to speed up the process.
I brought my good friend Holly with me yesterday. My Holly has already taken this journey with Breast Cancer and is over a year since diagnosis. Since Tim couldn't come with me because of work, I wanted someone who, in the worst case scenario, would be able to understand and help me thru that moment. Thankfully we didn't have to go thru that moment, however, we thought we were and here's why....
My appt. was at 1:15. Usually the vampires come and take my blood right away. And that didn't happen. My sister asked about it and then I did. When I went to ask one of the girls said that Chris, the PA was still talking to the DR about my CT scan. Well, now it is after 2:00 and Chris is still talking to Dr. Hicks. I said a little something under my breath, went back to my room and told Holly and my sister, repeated my little something, and then started to melt away..... We all three just sort of melted a little. Holly tried to hold my hand, but I had to stop her- that would have caused a complete meltdown.
Chris came in not too long after that, looked at us all and knew something was up. She asked and we all just said CT scan, woman. Tell us about the CT scan. She said it is 100% clean and we all almost fell over. I could hear a but.... ' But there is a little venus thrombus in your ovarian vein and I had to talk to Dr.Hicks about it because many times those need to be treated first.' Since it is in that vein and not in a major artery in my legs or arms I am good. Probably won't have to have anything done with it.
So after waiting an hour for Chris, we moved to the infusion room (I don't have to call it chemo room anymore) for my study drug, Avastin (hopefully). Well, we get to wait another hour because, you see, nobody ever did come to take my blood that has to be tested before I can receive treatment. Wonderful!! Now it is 2:45, I thought we'd be heading home by 2:30- I could take a little nap, shower, and get ready for the Christmas banquet. HAHAHA!! Finally blood work complete, finally Avastin, finally getting on M59 at 5:00- yep, at 5:00.
Traffic actually wasn't that bad but I knew I wouldn't make it home to shower and get to the banquet on time. So Holly offered her shower, her clothes, her makeup and was such a cool girlfriend hostess. It was like being young again and going thru your girlfriends closet. Poor Jim was banned from the back of the house. So thank you Holly for letting me clean up and chill for a few minutes, even if you did crash the party a little later!!
Now I know I should be jumping up and down, and I will. I think it needs to set in- that this could be over. I just don't want to get too comfortable there since cancer is what it is- a mystery.
Looking around last night and knowing how many of you are praying for me overwhelmed me. Just the love and support- it was so obvious to me and it means so much to me and my family. I know I am sometimes unable to celebrate in the way I want to- I want to jump up and down, I want to break out and dance (not break dance). I hope my conservative response to all this doesn't discourage you. Please let me see you celebrate- it's been so long I've forgotten how.
CA 125 is 33. Still in remission.
Love you all so very much.
Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger