Wednesday, December 17, 2008

People

God never stops amazing me. Perhaps because I can see a little more clearly because of the current, and hopefully continued, good news of a clear CT and normal CA 125, I see people differently, or maybe I can just see better...
When I went to Lifetime yesterday people talked to me!! I know that sounds so stupid, but if you don't know the bald lady you may not want to talk to her because you don't know if she's happy or sad, right? I get that. So when the boys were rock climbing the young men there were so sweet, as they always have been. Even asked where number 3 child was (she was organizing her jewelry- I wasn't going to stop that). So then on to swimming, which is when I do have to get my brave on since I would look really funny swimming with a hat on. But I'm getting used to it. And since I have yet to buy a nice pair of goggles I don't get my face in the water so I can see everyone, their expressions. And they are usually good, sometimes even funny, but that's ok- I am used to it. Anyway, the person swimming next to me asked how I was doing and I just said great, how I was looking for my boys in the little pool. Then on I swam.
Of course I couldn't just let it go- I had to say something- so I thanked him for talking to me and he said why wouldn't he?? And I laughed. I just said sometimes people are scared to, talked a little about how we're all on the journey together, blah, blah. It was just nice. And then in the hot tub- ah the warmth- I was talking with someone and they said how I was starting a new trend with my bald head and we laughed and then said that it didn't take away from my smile. How nice, huh?
So for these moments and hopefully years of no cancer I feel like a whole, real person. Maybe my face is more joyful looking, I don't know. i think I still showed joy during most of the treatment process. Maybe I am just more comfortable with my head- cold as it is- being exposed. I did give God the credit, with both people, so I am definitely more brave in my witness.
Thank you for helping me learn to be strong. I know these little steps I'm taking are silly at times, but sometimes the looks a bald woman gets are hard to interpret.
Onward to strength and recovery.
Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger