Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A box of china

My brother in laws dad died friday night in his sleep.  This is Sue's husbands father.  Yeah, quite overwhelming.  Larry was an awesome man and child of God.  He knew almost literally every person in St. Louis.  Mail carrier, fire chief, church janitor.  Everyone went to Larry when they needed help.
Tuesday, the funeral, was brutal.  It was the first time being with Bob and his family since Sue died.  The girls and Renee spent hours going thru the 'pretties' that were Sue's, her mom's or grandmothers and painstakingly chose dishes and linens and such for each girl/family.  I got to take my box home that day.

As I unpacked it today to see what the girls saved for me I just felt so loved.  A glass bowl with flower shaped edges, and a tray  to match.  Dishes with beautiful pink flowers.  A candy dish (now filled with sour patch kids extreme) sits on a doily on the new counters, and it belongs.  We used the plates for dinner tonight.  And I loved it.  Silly, but I did.  Sue loved her pretty things and was sentimental about them.  I don't usually follow the sentimental pattern, but I always want a piece of Sue with me.

When I found out about  Bobs dad I had quite the tailspin of a day.  All the anguish and sadness and grief I had not let out in a while came out.  And it wasn't a pretty sight.  My eyes were swollen for 2 days.  But I needed that.  I needed time alone crying viciously because of my grief over loosing Sue, my sister and friend.  My confidant at times.  My go to girl for prayer and encouragement.  The feelings were so intense.

What delight the china brought to me.  Washing it, displaying it, using it.  It just seems so natural.  And all the doilies and hankies- so pretty.  Not sure what to do with hankies tho....

The good news is we made it thru without too many tears.  I made it without any until I went into the bathroom and washed my hands and there was one of the many verses she had written throughout the house.  Came out crying just because I saw her writing.  She loved Jesus so.

But now she has a new family member up there in heaven and the angels are rejoicing.

But I have my china, and for now, that will have to do until I see her face again.

So nothing serious.  Just a joyous box of china, here to remind of Sue's sweetness, courage, and lifesong each and every day.

Love your family.

Vicki

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing easy about grief. Thanks again for sharing your heart. You teach and encourage with each word. You are so Sue, to many people. Lighting a path to Jesus--living in love with him. Gently, (and not so gently when necessary) leading people to Him, and BACK to Him. You ARE precious. No doubt about it. Can't wait to see your pretties from Sue--what a gift you've been given.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I was just telling Teri that I should call you just this...china. Because you, my friend, are precious and fine, loyal and lasting, the love you share and the truths you live out will be passed down from generation to generation, and one should handle your heart with care just as they would fine china, because it's worthy of such care. AND...I've told you this before, your face and skin reminds me of a porcelain china doll...so it all seems quite fitting!

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger